Monday, April 2, 2018

Time For Time Force (intro)


When news of Timeranger hit, it sounded like it could be cool -- time traveling cops. Cops from the future, teaming up with a modern guy to chase criminals from the future who might contaminate the timeline. Sounds awesome, right?! Well, it wasn't. That is, when you finally found out by watching the show. Nowadays, a new toku episode airs and you're probably getting to download and watch it that same day. Back in the time of Timeranger, you had to wait for some dude to get enough episodes to fill a VHS tape and then they'd sell it to you for an absurd price and MAYBE take a month or two to get it to you on top of it...

Didn't matter how long it took, but when I finally saw Timeranger, I didn't care for it. It was complete false-advertising. Not very cop-y, the villain designs were atrocious, its attempts at being Matrix-like a laugh. I hated the cast, the background music. That a premise so cool is wasted on a show that had ZERO interest in utilizing it, wanting to instead be a sub-Degrassi sobfest with a bunch of unlikable people skulking for half an hour each week in an uninspired apartment set. Whoopee!

Not entirely Timeranger's fault, but I spent the majority of 2000 and 2001 kinda out of tokusatsu. (Before Timeranger came along, GoGoFive's final episodes had disappointed me. I thought Kuuga was unappealing and looked homemade. There was a blip in early 2001 when I checked out the Timeranger special and the first few Gao; the special was underwhelming and I HATED what I saw of Gao, so the toku freeze-out continued. I've wrote before that it was Gaoranger VS Super Sentai, in late '01, that began to reignite my toku spirit.) Since I liked GoGoFive so much, I didn't really want to see what Power Rangers did to it, so didn't bother checking out much of any Lightspeed Rescue in 2000, and skipped Time Force in 2001 entirely...

But then in early 2002, ABC Family (or whatever they were calling themselves that week -- that channel has had more name changes than I did as a kid joining Columbia House for free CDs) started to rerun Time Force from the beginning. For some reason, I decided to check it out. I've made it clear plenty of times that I've always looked down on PR; I'm what the PR fans call a Sentai Snob. So, while I was surprised to enjoy Time Force's premiere and the way they set the story in motion, I didn't think it would last. I figured it would slip into standard PR goofery. I never usually stuck with a PR show for too long, just enough to see what it did with the Sentai. But I stuck with Time Force for a few more episodes and found myself...enjoying it? Yeah, I disappoint me, too. But it did a lot of things I expected Timeranger to and I liked the cast and set-up more and I found myself taping episodes and then...well, my superhero focus in '02 ended up being devoted to Ryuki, which I'm now ashamed to admit I was a bit obsessed with. I didn't end up finishing Time Force for a while.

But, still, I enjoyed what I saw. It played around with time travel a little more. It felt more cop-like. The heroes were more believable as cops, and the cop theme was put to more use. The heroes were more likable than their Japanese counterparts, and the actors were better and making more of an effort than the Power Rangers actors usually do. Time Force makes an improvement to the whole Red doppelganger thing. Time Force has a face lead villain!

It's not all perfect; there's still plenty of the negatives associated with Power Rangers. While the actors are better than usual, there's still some cringe-y moments. Voiceovers are spotty, line deliveries can be stilted. Typical of PR, it's afraid to take itself completely seriously; they fall back on humor that even kids roll their eyes at. The show could use a wee bit more money. The music is atrocious, but then again, Koichiro Kameyama's Timeranger music mostly drives me up the wall. (It's as ugly to me as Eric Serra's GoldenEye soundtrack.) What helps Time Force is having game performers who are making an effort and using so many of the Timeranger concepts -- concepts which had potential, but for a variety of reasons never reached or attempted to reach those potentials. Time Force uses A LOT of Timeranger's material -- to the point where Yasuko Kobayashi and the rest should have received credits -- but often tweaking a scenario, often for the better.

It's strange... I'm not going to pretend to know everything about Power Rangers, but it seems to me like the most popular entries are the In Space through Time Force run. And that's when PR started to adapt the Sentai storylines more and more. My memories of In Space and Lost Galaxy are pretty fuzzy, but I remember those shows excising things that wouldn't work from their Sentai originals for production's sake or logistics. With Time Force -- and it could just be my dislike of Timeranger making it look like this -- it seems to me like the PR staff saw opportunities for improvement and tried to take them. I mean, the show is still very much indebted to Timeranger, it's nearly a Xerox, but...through some of the changes, through a more likable cast, the same material begins to take on a different form of life. (I like how the Japanese Wikipedia describes Time Force as "not as tragic as the original...[but] goes against the happy ending that's typical of American stories.")

Not that Time Force is the perfect version of that show I imagined Timeranger would be when the news first hit. It isn't and it can't be, not when it's building so much from Timeranger's bones. But it tries, it tries to make its premise and world feel a little bigger. (Timeranger's pretty insular; add to that self-centered characters, and the show doesn't seem heroic, it doesn't feel like there's a lot at stake.) The Time Force Rangers definitely feel more superheroic, while still all having their own personal problems. (That means they're not all so self-involved as the Timeranger. Well, maybe Lucas. Lucas would fit in with the Timeranger.) It's a Power Rangers show with more ambition than the norm. And I think it's kind of sad that, starting with In Space but really kicking into gear with Time Force, it was looking like maybe Power Rangers -- through sticking more closely with the Sentai material, but building from it and making their own tweaks -- was improving itself for the better and trying to aim higher. (Think of those early seasons that completely disregarded the Sentai material and did whatever bonkers, goofy, inconsequential stuff it wanted to -- forcing its square peg through Sentai's round hole.) It's funny to me, because most of pop-culture in the mid-to-late '90s was all about ironic detachment and irreverence and being pleased with itself and not taking anything seriously, but it's the Disney entries from the mid-00s that have a tone more like that; Power Rangers was actually in the midst of change, attempting to try to gain a little more substance by the late '90s...

But then Saban sells off the franchise and it ends up with freaking Kid Gloves Disney who set the whole thing back again -- and set it back even further by selling it back to Saban, and Saban's missing the good old days, so the new shows are now stuck in that unambitious, goofy Ninjetti-era style. (I haven't watched many of the Neo-Saban adventures on Nick, but it really does give off the stink of when MMPR was past its super-mega-popularity and it got stale and boring and dumb, but Saban didn't care about quality, as long as the piggy banks of America were still crapping major green on him. Sorry, I just read an interview with Austin St. John, and he confirms the suspicion that Saban is really Don Dolnero.) Who knows where the franchise could be or what it could have accomplished if it stayed on the path it was on in the days of Time Force?

And, hey, I know that Time Force is kinda the Jetman or Kuuga of the Power Rangers franchise -- the one that's always praised to the point where people are tired of hearing about it or have flat out turned on it. So why even talk about it? Well, it's coming from me, a Sentai Snob who actually enjoys it and maybe, just maybe prefers it to the Sentai original, which is shameful and traitorous now that I've typed it out. Oh, well. It's like...enjoying Timeranger's ideas, but with less emo-ness and zero Honami. (That alone sounds good, right?) Timeranger's a fan favorite with Sentai fans, and I feel like that me -- the Sentai Guy, the Sentai Snob, the one who ridicules Power Rangers and complains about Saban -- saying I like Time Force or prefer it to Timeranger puzzles them. So I've always wanted to talk about Time Force, really get into what I like (and, of course, don't like) about it, and maybe even shockingly there's some moments where I'll prefer Timeranger's take on something. Let's get going with this already. It's Morphin' Time! (I still don't understand how they passed up bringing that back.)

17 comments:

  1. Right when i was thinking of watching a old episode

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a person who watched PR for a decade(MMPR - Dino Thunder), I will say that Time Force is the best PR season of the series! Most fans would say RPM is the best but Go-Onger wasnt that great so its clear that RPM went a completely different direction. I will say I do love Timeranger because of Time Force and became a Sentai Snob after watching my first full Sentai series in Magiranger. In Space, Lost Galaxy, and Time Force are the 3 series of PR that truly took on a more mature theme at times with their plot, while still being able to mix in the occasional PR cheese and goofiness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about whether I should check out RPM since people always go on about it. (The pun there was accidental.) I watched maybe the first two episodes years ago and...I just couldn't reconcile the fact that it was trying to be some post-apocalyptic and gloomy when they were using freaking Go-onger! Go-onger, which is just so in your face with its stupidity. There's just not making those designs work in that setting. I can't get past it. It's like samurais wearing fruit armor.

      Delete
    2. To be fair, Eddie Guzelian (the original RPM producer) literally swore when he saw the Go-Onger footage. "Are those *&@*^-ing EYEBALLS?!" That was literally his reaction.

      You'll note that they use little ground footage from Go-Onger in RPM, and I think that may have been a contributing factor in Guzelian's sudden dismissal and replacement by Judd Lynn -- he probably went a bit too overbudget.

      One of the reasons RPM works is because of the tonal clash and how they basically try to ignore it or else make fun of it -- there's literally one portion where the Rangers ask Dr. K about the random explosions, the yelling when they morph, the eyes on their Zords...and the explosions end up being used in a clever way later on. And then there's one of Venjix's generals asking if they're going to grow the monster now "or wait until the Rangers defeat it first!" (he gets blasted by Venjix for that), then asking why they aren't sending in their drones now that Corinth's shields are down (and gets blasted again). But it's not mean-spirited humor -- they don't punch down here.

      Delete
  3. Time Force is by far the best PR season. Glad to see you doing a take on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm kind of happy with how it turned out, so I hope all of the "Time For" installments will be enjoyed.

      Delete
  4. Interesting idea, are you planning to compare it to Timeranger as you go or only when it's relevant? Either could still be a good read, though. I couldn't imagine myself doing either for Precure's Glitter Force, Smile is dreadful in either language haha.

    My experience with Power Rangers goes up and down (when I could catch it on TV) but mainly as far as Overdrive. That was about the point I decided I didn't care anymore and a friend suggesting I try Dekaranger just steered me forever in that direction. I do get your point on the "Neo-Saban" material, I've caught sparse episodes here and there and usually just come out confused on what I'm watching.

    Looking forward to the rest~.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fall into the trap of comparing it to Timeranger more often than I wanted. I don't break down scene for scene similarities, but where I feel they're important or more changed.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. While it's a shame we never did get the time traveling cops superhero show which Timeranger could've been... I honestly still think what we got turned out to be quite awesome?
    I think it's really cool how the show establishes really high stakes by making destiny the main obstacle to the heroes, and just how hopeless a lot of the situation feels. And how we get to know these heroes with the situation they are in. I think it's a pretty neat spin/approach on the Sentai formula.

    It's kinda funny hearing you sound so meh towards toku back in the years when toku was in a much better place, lol

    You don't like the background music? That's a shame. I quite like how it has this ominous vibe to it, with the whole looming apocalypse of the 30th century.

    While I don't really follow Power Rangers, I can see how Time Force certainly is a much better effort compared to other seasons. And I think that's because hard sci-fi shows like GoGoFive and Timeranger just work best for the kind of shows Power Rangers would ideally like to be. Yeah, they kinda copy/paste a lot of things, but I feel Time Force probably looked the smoothest as far as adapting sentai footage went. One of my biggest issues with Power Rangers and why I struggle to watch it, is cause the Sentai footage rarely ever matches up properly with the American material. Time Force for the most part at least visually looks watchable.

    Your reaction to Timeranger, while I get where you're coming from, it does kinda remind me of how some reacted towards Shin Kamen Rider, lol.
    But I admit, sometimes I'm a bit surprised by how negative you feel towards Timeranger. Like, I thought maybe you'd be indifferent at worst. That you'd still sort of appreciate it for still trying to be ambitious in shaking things up for Sentai (something which doesn't always happen now). But instead, I see you go on and on about how it seems like a complete epic fail in every corner, like it's some typical Heisei Rider show (though you have given plenty good reasons for why you feel this way). As if it was some historic moment of Sentai mediocre-ness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's only a couple of pieces of Timeranger BGM I like, but for the most part, it really bothers me. And I don't like a lot of Dekaranger's cheeseball BGM, so maybe I just don't like Kameyama's stuff.

      I kinda don't see Timeranger as shaking up Sentai or anything like that. In typical Kobayashi style, she took some ideas from Metal Heroes, but then she tried to add a Jetman-style soapiness to it and it didn't work. It's a swing and a miss. They had concepts that they weren't able to pull off. It had potential that didn't come close to being tapped into. It's priorities were scattered. I do think it basically failed to do most of the things it (pretended) to set out to do.

      Kobayashi gets too wrapped up in peripheral junk. I don't think she works well with a 50-episode format. I mean, Timeranger's not a massive ball of crappy fail like Kamen Rider Blade or something like that, but what really doesn't help Timeranger is...if it had just had lofty ideas and missed 'em, that would be one thing. But the show gets an immense amount of praise that it doesn't deserve, and the show itself thinks it's a really cool, really serious and mature show and it's a mess and almost kiddy in how it sugarcoats or depicts the "threats" of the show.

      But I don't hate anyone that likes/loves the show either ;)

      Delete
    2. You sure you're not actually talking about Boukenger? lol (just kidding)

      Yeah I get yah. Timeranger is kinda one of those shows which does get tons and tons of praise. And while I can see why... I also do think there's a lot about Timeranger's flaws which frequently get overlooked. Like, I often see people talk about how Timeranger blows everything else in the 90s out of the water. And well... sure, I could pick out plenty of flaws from all the 90s shows, but I have trouble seeing how Timeranger is so "obviously" above them all, like others claim. I mean, I get that Timeranger at the very least on paper sounds friggin amazing. And people view it fondly for being a great wrap up to the 20th century "classic" era, before everything goes Power Animals. But because of this, I do feel a lot of folks have given it some leeway as a result.

      Timeranger is a little weird for me, cause it's a show I was always able to sit through and be entertained well enough. Even with all of it's flaws which I could pick out. I kinda wonder if it's cause I always looked at Timeranger and thought "At least it never got wonky like Ryuki, Faiz, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade..."

      My feelings on Time Force are also kinda weird. Cause while I did get through the show and found it decent... maybe a part of me just could never look at it as anything but a low budget adaptation. I watched all of Timeranger the year before as a kid back in the day. So I guess seeing what was essentially the same show but with different actors... I guess I felt I was just watching someone's insert fanfiction. Though the actors for Time Force were indeed much better than PR's usual standards.

      Delete
    3. Hey, I'd like to like Timeranger -- even back in the days of Magiranger I'd think to myself "Too bad I don't like Timeranger, because it seems like that's going to be the last truly serious Sentai Toei will make." Ultimately, I think I'd be much less harsh on Timeranger if it had a different cast, at least for Tatsuya, Yuuri and Ayase.

      And the reason why Timeranger, despite its flaws, still seems to you better than the other shows you named, that's just because Sentai > Rider. :P

      It IS kind of weird going into a Power Rangers show when you've already seen or are *really* familiar with the Sentai. And it's probably even more bizarre if it happens to one of the shows you saw as a kid -- I think that's why I always had such a hard time with VR Troopers. I was like "What are they doing to my Spielban?!" So it can be weird and you'll need to adjust for a Power Rangers.

      Even when I just rewatched Time Force for these posts, I watched it shortly after finishing Timeranger, and it's kind of a weird jolt, and I found I had to get used to the rhythm of not only an adaptation, but just the way Power Rangers approaches making a show for youngsters.

      There's a big difference in the approach to kids/family shows in Hollywood and in Japan, where in Japan they (used to) really take it seriously. In Hollywood, everyone has bigger ambitions and just don't give a crap when it's something they don't want to do or look down on.

      Even with Time Force, where you can tell the writers and actors wanted it to be more, you have the network and money guys who don't want to give them the means to make their vision soar, because they think it's just a disposable, dumb kids show that will be forgotten after it's done selling its toys.

      I get into this in one of my final Time Force posts, but I say: Time Force could have used some of Timeranger's sense of coolness and style. Even if I don't think Timeranger turned out as cool and serious as the staff thought -- that's just my opinion -- you know that was still their objective. To them, the show is cool and serious, and if it failed, it didn't fail because they took it lightly, it failed because there were other factors at work. (For example, bad casting.)

      Delete
    4. Not liking Tatsuya can be a really huge blow. Not having a decent Red can really make a Sentai sink for one. So I can see how not liking Tatsuya would really damage the whole show for you. He's supposed to be the guy who encourages and makes life better for everyone and to not give up. But for you, like you've said before, his actor comes off sounding too dumb, goody-two-shoes, and insincere.

      Yuuri, I know you've said before that you find her too much of a tryhard and very unlikable. She's indeed a very grumpy individual. For me, when I was a kid, I actually always wanted to see her be happy again. To open up and be more social. I guess after watching ep 5, that ep always just stuck with me when it came to Yuuri. Even as an adult. As weird as this may sound, she seems like the type of person I'd like to be friends with and help out. This might be because IRL, I have a long history of befriending very grumpy people, lol.

      And yes, Sentai > Rider indeed lol xD

      Yeah, I think growing up with Sentai in the 90s is a big part of why Power Rangers never quite grasped me like it did for others.

      Delete
  6. @Shogo

    I admit that you give a good defense for your dislike for Timeranger. I'm afraid I'm just guilty of extreme favoritism for the show. Heck, TBH I've had some desire to get defensive right now about my beloved Timeranger.

    "But I don't hate anyone that likes/loves the show either ;)"

    And same thing goes here - I don't hate anyone that dislikes Timeranger either. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Timeranger's threat is more abstract than time force one, a time master (Captain Ryuya)charged the time jet, time Shadow, time traveller, and history editor...He knows everthing about you and then operates you like a cheese, in order to achieve his selfish goal. Abstract idea, but I like it.I think it is OK to be self-involved since you were dropped to 1000 years ago where all communication sources to the future were cut. In fact, if someone throw you to 1000 years ago, you might be more self-involved than Timerangers. It is so wired those so called idealism standard sweat heros of time force adapt ancient life in a supernatural speed, and the whole show igonred time-paradox some times...Heroic stuff is great...but TF's
    one is so ideal...
    Timeranger indeed sucks sometime, but those "sucks" are realistic negative emotions when you were in a extremely depressed situation which you are no idea with and nobody will help you. If you like the super idol-like heroism brought by nowadays super hero dramas, you will definitely hate timeranger since the aspects revealed by this show are the most realistic emotion (depression and anxiety) toward future(not the evil nature of humanity,just the realistic negative emotions).

    ReplyDelete