Monday, January 21, 2013

Kyoryuger is upon us...


More and more info for Kyoryuger is coming out, and everyone's offering up their opinion, and me? I'm afraid. Very afraid. First of all, I roll my eyes at dinosaur motifs. Let's get away from animals and cars for a show, Toei. Geez. My cynical and curmudgeonly self thinks the show looks like it's going to be bright and obnoxious and idiotic and that it might make Go-onger look like Sons of Anarchy. It doesn't help that Bandai's saying stuff like Kyoryuger's going to be bright because Go-busters is "too dark." Go-busters -- dark? (Are you sure you don't mean "sucky," Bandai? As in, not even the most easily brainwashed kid wanted to buy that show's crappy toys?) The battery gimmick seems dumb and like it will hog a lot of episode focus and they'll try really hard to pretend like it's interesting (see: Gao Jewels), and this whole samba thing...I just get flashes of that one awful episode of Wizard I watched, where his belt wouldn't shut up with its loud sounds and drunken Steven Tyler voice: "Rider Kick, please! Oops, I forgot this franchise isn't Kamen Rider anymore, so there's no Rider Kick. Pixie Sparkle Dance Time, please! SHABADABOODOOOOOOO!"

Ugh. But, then, I try to keep in mind: my intense hatred for preceding series Hurricanger and the idea of talking CGI dinosaurs caused me low hopes for Abaranger. But, hey, I ended up liking that show, it pulled me in from the first episode and is one of my favorites. And Kyoryuger's main writer is Kamen Rider W's main writer, Riku Sanjo, and I thought all of the early info on Double made it look like a really bad Toei Fushigi Comedy, but, again, I was pulled into that show from the first episode. So, a flimsy sense of optimism is like "Hey! Maybe Kyoryuger will surprise you!" But I'm mostly afraid and skeptical and more interested in Akibaranger Season 2 -- and even then, I'm afraid Akibaranger II: Akiba Harder will suffer from the disease of Sequelitis*.
  
(*Symptoms of Sequelitis include not realizing what it is that made the predecessor good or liked; trying too hard to "outdo" the previous entry, resulting in strain; lazily recreating popular bits in an inferior manner; putting more money into the product, but not more thought.)

5 comments:

  1. Honestly, the only thing I'm looking forward to in Kyoryuger is the fact that Black is supposed to be like Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park, which is one of my favorite movies. I think I'm going to watch Kuuga instead, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have similar fears for Kyoryuger as well since I'm wondering how childish it can get. The cast does look interesting, but a lot of things get me at the eh side. The suit designs looks kinda ugly for me and their guns look so stupid! The only thing keeping some hope for me in this series is the writer since Kamen Rider Double is my all time favorite Toku show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really scared. I just let shows come and go. If they're awful, then oh well. If they're great, then sweet.~ Plus, after being pummeled by Go-Busters' awfulness, I just feel like what's there to lose this year. xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very good point Fantasy, but this series is going to have an upbeat feeling and it could be like the second half of Go-busters, trying to be way too comical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The newer info we had for Kyoryuger sounds like Go-Onger lite... except that our heroes will fight a dinosaur to get their power. That is something to look forward too!

    ReplyDelete