Sunday, August 27, 2017

Hard Knock Life: Liveman 16-21


Episode 16

I like this episode -- again, when the show's dealing with Academia or their past friendships, it's at its best -- but I find it so strange that such a fucked up concept on the part of the villains' is used in what's a more lighter episode. Obular creating a monster that can summon ghosts -- and he summons all of those that Volt killed on Academia Island -- that's seriously fucked up! That should be traumatizing to the Liveman! But instead the big concern is that these literal ghosts being kicked up also kick up figurative ghosts, as in...Yuusuke's old love letters to Mazenda.

I always thought it was kind of a shame they didn't go into Yuusuke's having a crush on Mazenda more, and in a more serious manner. That would give their connection to their villains so much more juice. Because he's ashamed of it, and she just doesn't give a shit how much she hurt him. (She's a cold one!) I always thought it was a HUGE missed opportunity to not have Yuusuke be the focus of episode 18, but I'll get to that in a minute.

Episode 17

Kunio Fujii returns with...a less than stellar episode. I'll say the idea of the episode is interesting. The Japanese have the belief that ordinary objects can have life, so I see the living doll as being representative of that. So, it's another "learning to value the life" episode. But furthermore, I think this episode's an attempt to show a character that "sells their own soul," but for good rather than evil, as the Volt Trio did. The runner sells the living doll she loves (and gave life through that love) for the ability to win the race she promised the ill girl she'd win. Those are interesting ideas and themes to explore, but it just all doesn't quite come together. I feel like it needed to involve the Liveman more.

And this is another episode of the plan of the week being more about fucking with people than anything else. Kemp hates toys and wants them to come alive and kill people. I guess his parents didn't let him buy the toys he wanted when he was a kid. Nowadays Kemp's plan would be spun and said to be some kind of commentary on the nature of adult nerds collecting toys or something. Bugger off.

Episode 18

Fujii writes another one, and this one he hits out of Korakuen. An episode that hits all of the right notes, one of the show's more important, character-driven episodes. I'd say it was pitch perfect, but...

It should have been Yuusuke's episode, not Jou's. Rei, the clone of Rui, was made up of the (supposed) last pieces of Mazenda's humanity. This would have been a great opportunity for Yuusuke to have rekindled some of his feelings for Senda, initially not be trusting of Rei, but coming to love what a good person she is, that she's the person Senda could have been. I think it would have been a strong episode for Yuusuke and given it more depth than just seeming like "Oh, another Jou episode, another love interest." Nishimura gives a good performance, but I just always was frustrated like...why doesn't Yuusuke comment on the situation at all?!? Bah.

I like the shades it shows in Mazenda. She's supposedly purging her emotions, the rest of her humanity, but she's not being honest with Bias -- she cries when Rei's turned into the Brain Beast. But I especially like what this episode does with Ashura. He sees Mazenda's pain and cares. That's one of the things I like about Ashura, about his being an outsider. For all of his fancy evil edu-ma-cation and crazy outfit, the outlaw, the outsider, the man Arashi is still there. While Kemp's rah-rah Bias, and supports Mazenda shedding her humanity, Ashura recognizes the importance of it, and saves the remnants of Rei -- Senda's heart and soul -- and returns them to the grieving Mazenda. A cool moment that has more meaning than anything seen in the past 10 years of toku combined.

Episodes 19, 20, 21

The Farewell Obular Three-Parter! Also, kind of basically the end of Liveman. When Obular leaves, it's symbolic of Liveman losing a piece of its soul and guts. 'Cause things take a turn...

These are good episodes, though. Taking a cue from Senda, Obular decides to make a monster using himself, and the result is Study Brain, who attempts to indoctrinate people into Volt's cause via the Volt Bible (a prop I've always wanted to recreate). A recurring theme these past few episodes have been the past biting people in the ass, and here Obular's sad past puts to ruin his plan with Study Brain. When Study Brain is mesmerized by kids having fun playing, something changes within him, to the point where HE wants to get in on the playing. This is a result of Gou's sad past, the way he was holed up and forced to study nonstop, never allowing a moment of fun or play by his strict mother.

Obular seeing this truth through Study Brain, and just the mere fact Study Brain is created using his cells, causes him to waver and weaken, and he begins to revert back into Gou. And because Toei wants to write Obular out, this causes Volt to turn on him.

Gou returns home and tries to change back into the Beast Man Obular, which his mother witnesses. I'd like to say here that I've always loved Gou's monstrous make-up in episode 3 -- you know, when he's transitioning into the suit Obular, where he just has the nasty mouth and wrinkly faced. I've always wished Sentai could do more prosthetic make-up like that for their villains, but it's obviously not feasible with Sentai's shooting schedule and budget. But Gou looked great in episodes 1 and 3, but here...they really cheapen out on his make-up and it's a let down.

The third part of the episode is the best of this three-parter. Not only when Kemp reveals that Obular -- the timid dork -- was basically seen as a cling-on to the others, and that he really wasn't Volt material and only had an in because of his association with Kemp and Mazenda. But also in the storyline with Gou's mother, played by the great Nami Munakata (who was also excellent in Flashman's terrific 34th episode). Her performance and the writing are sharp enough to not demonize Gou's demanding mother, but cast her in a sympathetic light, especially as Yuusuke pleads with her to try and get through to Gou before it's too late. There's a really strong scene and exchange between the two in the episode, great character moments, that are entirely absent from modern tokusatsu.

The episode also does a good build-up in putting Gou's mother in jeopardy as she enters the battlefield to console a wounded Obular. You worry she'll be killed. But she reaches through to Gou, who takes a dangerous attack in her place. You worry HE'LL be killed. You're relieved that the show has the sense to have them survive, when a lesser show would think it would be "epic" to kill one -- or both. The drama of the situation was there in your care for their characters, and the uncertainty of their fate. The chance for them to meet danger was there and felt, the drama of the situation still felt even if they didn't meet their demise. It's all just handled so well by the performances and director Shouhei Toujou.

Another interesting facet of these three episodes is Liveman making the very un-Japanese case of choosing life over study. The whole point of Gou's character here is that he devoted his life to study and not ever enjoying life, and look how that worked out for him.

The stress of Gou's situation leaves him with amnesia, and he takes his leave from the series by moving back home. Liveman, the grounded, fresh take on Super Sentai, is about to go insane...

Oh, and one more thing. For a long time, the tape sellers who you used to have to buy toku from -- before the days of uploads and downloads and DVD releases -- had every episode of Liveman EXCEPT 21. 21 was a missing episode for a long time. A pretty crucial episode to miss. Why couldn't it have been 22?

9 comments:

  1. Gou's mother is a example of the many things you should not do to your kid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she had good intentions but maybe took it a wee bit too far. But where's his dad? I think that's why she is the way she is.

      Delete
  2. Like I was saying on Twitter.....you missed out on owning the Volt Bible! :p

    Yeah, it only takes ONE person going on vacation for episodes to go missing for years. My friend was really into Dragonball GT and was going mad that some random episodes were completely unavailable until the show eventually made it's way to DVD. The maddening thing about Liveman, if I remember correctly, is that was the last or next to last series to end up on DVD thanks to Toei's release scheme of Goranger > < GoGo Five.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck, even when we got the Toei Channel raws from 2005 or so, they often missed 21 (again) and 31 (not that 31 was really missed). Those raws also had a few recording issues, like DVD recorder alerts and pixelation.

      Liveman didn't get released on DVD until early 2012. It was next to last, leaving Turboranger as the last show on DVD. Poor Turboranger.

      Delete
    2. @CCLemon99

      Yeah, I can't believe there was a "real" VOLT bible up! Since you said it's foam, I'm betting it was one of the bibles used as missiles the monster was throwing.

      Delete
    3. @PMell2293

      Tell me about it! All my favorite Sentais were released last. I've been waiting since '01 to get to the shows I like. That was a long fecking wait.

      Delete
  3. Hey there Shougo! Sorry that I'm a bit late in commenting. Been out of the loop in general lately. xP Really cool to see you're giving Liveman the same treatment you gave Black! These have been really fun reads! Keep up the good work! =D

    I'll share some of my comments for your previous posts:

    Episodes 1 and 2: Love these eps. And I do agree with your comments on the Metalder comparison. While I love Metalder very much, I do feel like Liveman is much stronger in it’s themes.

    Episode 4: Like you said, it's indeed a bit of a wonky episode. I do like it. But I wish I could LOVE it. I feel it's a good ep for Mazenda. I love the flashback scene where Megumi and Rui are in their dorm room together. Really adds to the fact that the heroes and villains had quite a history together. But yeah, sadly, the ep does kinda run off the rails a few times with how goofy it tries to be.

    Episodes 6 and 7: I admit, I'm kinda torn on these episodes, sorry to say Shougo. ^^; On one hand, I really do like the story. It's a very sad episode which can really tug at the heart strings. But on the other hand, it's like you said, the dinosaur's design kinda damages the episode for me. I know I'm supposed to suspend disbelief. But since this is a visual medium, AND this is before Liveman's budget slash, it just left me kinda scratching my head over why they let this happen. Ah well. I still kinda like the episodes.

    I think another thing which kinda bugged me was Obular's plan in general. I guess it felt... kinda out of left field to me? Or didn't quite seem as cool or clever as Kemp's, Mazenda's, or Ashura's plans? Maybe I need to watch the eps again, but I always felt the plan never screamed what Obular was about, like he just came up with a whatever plot. During Obular's stay at Volt, I always found myself preferring the plans of Kemp, Mazenda, and Ashura more (even though I love Obular as a character).

    Episode 8: This ep is awesome. And Yutaka Hirose goes all out by showing just what a great pissed off villain he can play! By the end of the ep, you can tell Kemp is furious and has some real ego problems. It's a real defining ep for Kemp imo. Love this ep.

    Episode 9: I too don't get why people would have issues with this ep. I feel it's a pretty solid ep which really gets into the nitty gritty of the heroes vs villains conflicts of this show. I think I enjoyed this Mazenda ep more than her previous one (ep 4).

    I know Yuusuke and Jou do seem a bit more dickish, but... it actually never stuck out to me all that much. Maybe cause Megumi in the previous ep threw them both down an explosive maze, lol. I guess at this point, I was kinda used to the three of them taking jabs at each other, because they were such close friends. Love these three~ And hey, not gonna lie, I love the scene where Yuusuke and Jou rough up Mazenda. PAY BACK TIME!! It's part of why I love Liveman. Just seeing the heroes and villains go at each other with all they've got.~

    Episode 10: This ep is probably the source material to every Zyuohger ep (except not even as decent =P )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Episode 14: Man... I like, yet hate this episode at the same time. On one hand, I do think the plot is a great idea to tackle! And I love the bonding moment the three have at the end! Though on the other hand... I sadly find this ep really difficult to watch. It's too upsetting. Maybe I still need to learn to toughen up. But I admit, during rewatches I kinda dread it whenever I get to this ep. I dunno, just seeing Yuusuke getting attacked by people throughout the ep is just heartbreaking and difficult to watch. =(

    Episode 15: I think my feelings towards this ep were pretty similar to eps 6 and 7 (though I preferred 6 and 7 more than 15).

    Episode 16: I do like this episode. But it does sadden me that the show never follows up on this. Though I guess at this point, we're almost reaching the moment where the show goes bananas. Oh well. Great ep for Yuusuke and even Mazenda.

    Episode 18: This is one of my favorite episodes in the show.~ I also agree with your points Shougo.

    Episodes 19, 20, 21: "the end of Liveman".... but we're not even halfway through the show yet!! D: (I do agree though xD )
    But yeah, I love this arc. Definitely one of my favorite stories from the series.~
    We do still have ep 23 coming up. I think that was a really awesome ep personally.~


    I look forward to seeing the next posts Shougo! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      About Ep 21, I'm not saying the show's over but that the path changes and it's no longer really the show it was or could have been.

      Delete