Sunday, November 26, 2017

Jetman 17-18 (The Problem With Vyram)


EPISODES 17 & 18

Episodes that could have been a four-parter, instead of a two-parter. These two episodes try to cover so much ground -- Gai's laying it all out for Kaori, his "death," the arrival of Vyram's leader, Radeige's being demoted to human... Juuza and Radeige's storylines certainly could have been expanded upon.

17 features the sorta controversial scene of Gai dragging Kaori away against her will, into an elevator, to confront her. It's impulsive and rude, but fans act like he knocks her down and kicks the shit out of her until she agrees to a date. He's there at the store, just kind of bottling up frustration, and when Kaori's parading out bikinis she wants to buy to impress Ryu, he decides it's time to just put all of his cards on the table. So he whisks Kaori away and confronts her. (It's not his fault the blackout causes the elevator to stop and lose power.) Kaori's uncomfortable, but not scared, so I think people read this scene wrong.

Finally frustrated at Kaori's attempt to play nice and spare feelings by not saying anything to Gai -- what she feels about either him or Ryu -- Gai finally just reaches a point where he'd even prefer she hate him rather than feel nothing. I always kind of wondered if Gai would have backed off if she DID say she hated him.

What's really ridiculous about this ordeal is that the remaining Jetman are stranded in another elevator, with Raita freaking out about what Gai might be doing to Kaori. He really overreacts more than the viewers of the scene. And, again, the show brings up that he loves Kaori, too, and you just roll your eyes. Raita even says that he knows he's not good enough for Kaori, so the best he can do is look out for her, so...yay, Satsuki! Know that Raita thinks he's lowering himself by settling for you!

But in this scene, Ryu shows how awesome he could be. He tells Raita he's overreacting, and that he thinks Gai's a better person than Raita thinks he is. Look at this from Ryu's perspective: Gai's been nothing but a colossal pain in the ass, but Ryu still sees the good in him and vouches for him. And it says something that Gai gets pissed when the team finally meet up and Raita's at the attack with accusations; he's NOT a shitbag who would harm Kaori.

The cause of the blackouts is from the arrival of Juuza, Empress of the Vyram empire. Radeige's in-tune or powerful enough that he senses her arrival. Even though they play it vague just who and how important Juuza is, she's a great addition to the show, with more of a presence and strength and intimidation factor than the other Vyram members. It's such a shame she's used for just two episodes, and ends up being so easily disposed of. (I would have also preferred for someone like Atsuko Takahata to have played her.)

When Radeige attempts to overthrow her, she attacks him and "punishes" him in the worst way she finds she can -- by turning him into a human. In the process, he loses his memory and is found on the beach. (Just like Shouichi Tsugami.) He's found and comes to befriend a terminally ill young woman, who he ultimately ends up betraying once his memory is returned and he goes full-on Radeige. For all of my complaints about Daisuke Tachi's performance as Radeige, he's better at playing the amnesiac version. (Maybe playing a serious villain isn't for him? Because he's also kind of funny as Mokumokuren in Kakuranger.) And because it's Inoue, there's just a cloud over his friendship with the ill girl, especially when his presence raises her spirits, and she's making wishes for his sake.

Jetman fans like this storyline for highlighting how vicious Radeige is. He's stopped by the girl, who sees him in the full Radeige outfit, trying to get through to any of the kindness he had, and he kills her. That the amnesiac Radeige was so kind, and that her words cause Radeige hesitation (and his face goes from blue to flesh colored as he hears her) says that, for what a evil piece of shit Radeige is, there has to be SOMEthing decent in him, deep down. Inoue loves blurring the lines between heroes and villains and he usually likes making villains a little more complex. But, for some reason, I never found the Vyram to be as deep or layered or shaded in gray as a lot of Inoue's other villains. This two-parter is the first time anything's been given to Radeige that wasn't just muttering your standard villain threats and condemnations.

And here's what I learned upon my latest rewatch of Jetman: the Vyram are atypical Inoue villains in that there's not much depth to them, at least for the early half of the series. There's always been something about the Vyram villains that never quite worked for me, but I always chalked it up to casting choices and weak designs. But when I thought about it on this rewatch, I realized they just don't have much going for them as characters, and not a compelling motivation for what they do. The Vyram don't feel united; they don't seem like they have a history, you don't feel anything for their little game. They're just not nuanced.

I think I'm just really spoiled by the villains in Hirohisa Soda's shows. He'd give his villains layers, and moments of sympathy or understanding, but he also remembered to make them interesting and alive and damned formidable. I always said Jetman had Maskman envy, and the Tube is a villain group that never gets the respect it should, so I'll use them as an example. Although he's mysterious, we learn who Zeba is, and come to understand the dark history that fuels his motivation. Igam's a proud warrior stuck between two lives, with a personal grudge against the usurper Zeba, the whole mess Ial made and a personal grudge against Red Mask for "corrupting" Ial. You can easily surmise Baraba's history, especially once his mother is introduced. You can feel the years of hostility between Igam and Baraba and their clans. Kiros! Kiros is great, working for the villains with the promise they'll let him have Ial, while also in a bitter battle with Red Mask for her love. There's interplay between the villains; personality clashes, disagreements over methods; there's a sense of shared history, you get quite an impression of Tube's underground world.

Or take a look at the officers of Flashman's Mes -- you don't exactly find out a lot about them, but it's easy to surmise since they're lab experiments, but they're also colorful, memorable, there's a unity to them, they're competent. They're made more memorable by good casting and high quality design work.

Now, what can you say about the Vyram members? Who they are? Where they come from? Their history, their individual personalities? Radeige's a megalomaniac; if you didn't know she was secretly Rie, what's to say about Maria?; Toran's just a typical Evile Brat; Grey's a robot, but isn't it cool he likes alcohol, cigars and music?! And they often feel just so disorganized -- I get that they're meant to be a sort of mirror to the Jetman team, but it's not entirely successful since we're meant to believe the Vyram have successfully conquered other dimensions. It's not really until the later episodes that anything of note is done with the Vyram, and even then it seems just so...small. And really not like Inoue. This is the guy who got the Kamen Rider The First gig and was like "Oh, reboot the original series? OK. Here's an entire movie about two Shocker monsters instead. Enjoy!" He's the guy who, in Kamen Rider 1's big anniversary movie, decided to have Jigoku Taishi fight alongside Rider, ending with Hongou letting Jigoku Taishi off the hook with a smile! The guy loves his villains!

My theory is that Inoue had to compromise on Jetman. He could either go as far as he was allowed with the Jetman's flawed, clashing heroes and the love triangle or have devious, dreadful villains, but not both, so he chose to go with the former. Which, hey, if that's the scenario, maybe he made the better choice. As I just said, Soda had explored villains more than any Sentai before his reign had. Inoue could have followed his footsteps or done something different, which in this case would be the hard lean into the team drama and love story.

And that's not to say I don't like the Vyram; they still beat most of the villain groups that come after them. (I don't feel like I should have to even say that; why is everything so one-sided these days? You can still like something and be critical of parts of it.) I'm just of two minds about the Vyram, in comparison to Soda's villains, in comparison to the way Inoue usually handles villains. And I'm just a little harder on the Vyram since they represent the last mainly-actor villain group in Sentai, before The Rubber Suits take over.

With that out of the way...what was I saying? Oh, yeah. Gai dies in this two-parter! So, that happened.

7 comments:

  1. I've never been keen on the writing for the Vyram. Radeige is just too one-dimensional to really do the "will he turn good?" plot, and unlike Prince Junior, the performance doesn't fill in the gaps left by the writing.

    Toran would have benefitted from a bit more backstory (i.e., brainwashed child, genetic experiment, etc. - just something to hold the audience over until Hirose shows up). Grey, while he's beloved by the fans, doesn't have any real depth to him. He has his vices and his lust for Maria "just because." I could buy Gash's fanatical devotion to Bias, because Bias built him to be the perfect henchman.

    I'd also cite Turboranger as an example of nuanced villains, at least with Yamimaru and Kirika. Soda tries to add depth to the first wave of generals, but a lot of their development doesn't go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Vyram held potential, I think, but the show chooses not to realize it. They could have been pretty cool with a couple of fixes.

      Yamimaru and Kirika are great! I hate that Turboranger has this reputation as being some kind of goofy show that gets course corrected. It's not that Toei interfered, Hibiki-style. I never saw the show as being comedic or lighthearted in its early episodes. It's just that the original villains felt pretty disconnected from the heroes compared to Yamimaru and Kirika, and once Soda realizes that, he removes the characters who don't work in favor of ones who do, and the show starts to come together more.

      Delete
  2. I do feel the elevator scene is a good example of just how Raita doesn't work in this show. They're really trying to give the character material to work with. As a character who can give his thoughts to situations. But at this point, Ako so has him beat in this regard.

    But yeah, fans who hate Gai for the elevator scene and are always ready to pull out the "Rape Card," I feel just completely misjudge these characters. They're so convinced that Gai is a rapist, that Kaori is weak and defenseless, that Ryu is dumb, naive, and not observational ("unlike the haters" I guess). Funny thing is, these kinds of people are usually the ones who end up thinking Raita is the best character in the show, lmao.

    LOL, whenever Japanese tv uses an episode title that goes "*character* Dies!", they never die. xD I swear I think Burai might be the only exception to that. Uninspired episode title aside, I do really like Gai in these eps. I like seeing what he'd do if he was faced with death, and revealing how despite the tough front he brings, he's actually just a very lonely scared person. It made me feel really sorry for Gai. Underneath the suave cool exterior, he's pent up full of anxiety and frustration. To the point where I can't see why people would use these eps to vilify Gai. If anything, I feel they make Gai more human and sympathetic, and makes me wish all the more that he can grow up into a better stronger individual. I mean, he's a flawed individual, and he tries to better himself, much like every other hero in this show (it's that thing called character development people love so much xP ). His not-death is pretty obvious. But I love how it brought to light a certain side to Gai's character. And boy, Toshihide Wakamatsu really nails it here.

    If Kaori did say she hated Gai (which would of course be completely out of character for Kaori. As she's demonstrated she doesn't really hate anyone), I would assume Gai would back off for a while. And probably have his ego completely smashed. How he would recover from that... he'd definitely have to face himself and come to terms with the fact that he lost to Ryu for good. And that he lost to Kaori too. Maybe he'd confront Kaori one more time to help smooth things out. I mean, we know that later on, they learn that the Gai/Kaori relationship just sadly isn't going work out, and they learn to move on that way. For all the character flaws Gai and Kaori have, they're both pretty intelligent and are pretty good at thinking and figuring things out (they deserve more credit from fans for this I feel).

    Seeing more Juuza would've been great. It reminds me a lot of Icarus from Changeman, where it would've been so awesome to see this one cool story expanded to a couple more eps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your complaints about the Vyram. But here are my thoughts on the villain group:
    For me, what stands out about Vyram to me is the fact that they're leaderless. Previous Sentai villain groups always had a leader. But here, we were left with the Generals all on their own. So that was pretty unique to me.

    I also felt the Vyram were kinda like what the Volt members aspired to be. Which was completely ridding yourself of your humanity and essentially becoming a "God" reigning over all. Cause the Vyram have pretty much lived their whole lives not understanding the concept of Emotion, and finding the humans disgusting for living off of this baffling concept. The Vyram only know about war, destruction, enjoying people's misery, and conquering. What I find interesting about Radiguet is that I feel he's a reverse-Volt. In that he gets a taste of humanity and loses his "perfection/purity" as a Vyram. I'd say everyone in Vyram pretty much goes through this (minus Tran, who pays the ultimate price in the end). Grey possibly being the only one to truly become "human" by the end.

    I'm surprised you're so harsh on the actors and designs of the Vyram Generals. I mean, I can understand your issues on the actors, but I always felt they got the job done. The designs... I can understand why one wouldn't care for the MOTW designs (though I loved Veronica). But I thought the Vyram Generals had pretty sweet designs personally. I feel like they have that bizarre mirror aesthetic going for them which gives them this unsettling factor.

    For me, I look at the Vyram as strange creepy villains who prove many times that they're threatening. And that's something I do want from my villains at the very least. But I do feel the Vyram are fairly memorable. Like I said before, I feel like they're kinda like reverse-Volt. Radiguet is the guy who gets a taste of humanity, which completely goes against everything he felt he represented. Which was being a Vyram General. His whole life, he's known nothing other than the ways of being a Vyram. That's who he is. And it bugs him tremendously that he's gotten this alien thing called "humanity" in him now. Grey probably should be the most Vyram out of all of them, being a cold brooding robot and all. Which makes his growth pretty cool I feel. Maria being someone who severely flip-flops between human and Vyram. She's a person who's at constant war between both personas. I felt it was pretty obvious she was Rie in ep 1, so it made me really excited to follow her story. Tran is a disturbing character imo. I feel he shows that the Vyram probably become what they are since the beginning of their lives. And Tran is already all that, even as a kid. You can tell the kid is completely crazy from the start, which makes his fate in the end make sense. As well as the fact that Tran is the only character who never gets a hint of humanity in him. So I think it's cool being able to eventually see how he gets beaten as a result of that. In some ways I like to think Tranza is roughly what Doctor Kemp aspired to become, as a perfect "God-like" being over the foolish humans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the show doesn't dive too deeply into the Vyram's background. But what I said above was always the impression I got from the group in terms of what was shown on-screen. I always imagined the Vyram lost Juuza shortly before the events of Jetman. And that the whole history prior was that Juuza was the empress and she hand-picked her Generals to be cold-blooded conquerers, while leading armies of Grinam Soldiers and Dimensional Beasts. But once the Generals lost Juuza, they realized they'd need a successor to the throne, and Earth would be their playground concerning this. And I feel the Generals getting a taste of this "Freedom" was enough for them to turn on Juuza, as they learned that one-upping others and not serving a leader actually feels great.

    So yeah, that's all pretty much how I viewed the Vyram, what I got out of them, why I enjoyed them, and why they stuck with me.

    As for your theory, I can totally see that. From what I've seen and heard, it seems like Inoue wrestled with a lot of things with the production staff. Like with Suzuki. For as much as I do love the Vyram, I can certainly tell Inoue probably would've loved to have gotten to take some things further. If he indeed had to make a choice between the heroes or villains, then I can certainly say I'm glad he went with the heroes. The heroes for me are a bigger priority than the villains when it comes to these sorts of shows. But I'm glad I ended up enjoying both regardless.

    "And I'm just a little harder on the Vyram since they represent the last mainly-actor villain group in Sentai, before The Rubber Suits take over." I know Dairanger happens to be after your Golden Age of Sentai, but hey, I thought the villains in that show were awesome with their face villains too!~

    And, apologies for the long string of comments. Just had a lot to say. This was a very fascinating topic, haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About the leaderless Vyram, I do feel like they're meant to mirror the Jetman, being as sloppy and disorganized as they are. But I think that's a bit of a mistake. When Jetman's depicting SUCH a dysfunctional team, wouldn't the stakes be higher, the situations scarier, if they were up against villains who were united and competent?

      Veronica's the only decent villain design because it's the only one Amemiya did! The rest are Ryu Noguchi, whose designs I've never really liked. They're usually plain, with some crazy headpiece. I feel like the Vyram generals' designs are intentionally reminiscent of Noguchi's Vader designs from Denjiman, and maybe that's good enough for a lot of fans, since Noguchi is well-liked. For me, I grew up with and was spoiled by the designs of Yutaka Izubuchi, Ichigo House, Naoki Hagiwara...really creative, detailed designs, with well-made suits bringing them to life. (I also like what Tamotsu Shinohara did with the Turboranger villains.) The Vyram designs, I think, are also responsible for some of the weak performances. Like, Daisuke Tachi obviously can't move his head much with that croissant helmet he has, and that's going to limit you.

      I'm getting ahead of myself again -- it my wrap-up post, I go into some of my problems with the villains, so it's going to look like I'm repeating myself, but what makes Radeige interesting is that he's a monster who thinks he's not only royal, but holy. But his being a monster is something he's obviously ashamed of, because he hides it from the other Vyram. He reminds me of some kind of Gothic horror character, and that's something right up Inoue's alley. And then you could easily surmise why he/Vyram took Rie. If Radeige's a monster, a Phantom of the Opera type, he could have easily just fallen in love with Rie's beauty and chose to keep her around under the guise of their "game." Furthermore, Juuza is shown to be a monster, too, but she ended up ruling Vyram. What's the difference between her and Radeige that Radeige keeps his monster form secret? And are they related? Many things to make the villains more interesting than Inoue ends up doing.

      I think you read more into Maria than what's there, though. The show never once has her fight the Rie within. Not even when Maria starts to become aware that she's Rie, when Ryu tells her. It's just not in the material. (In fact, if you were a viewer who joined Jetman late, you'd NEVER KNOW Maria was the Red's girlfriend.) I always said Mahoro and Asuka were the better Maria and Ryu storyline, and they handle this aspect better, too -- Abaranger certainly hints that maybe some of Jannu's anger is actually feelings of resentment and abandonment from Mahoro, and not just Dezumozoria's influence. Jetman never addresses that with Maria, to the point where she might as well not even be Rie. (And there were certainly opportunities, like in the episode where they're targeting brides, for them to suggest that some of Rie's feelings are seeping through.)

      And I like the Gorma villains, I just feel like...they're kind of the odd group out, lost in a sea of rubber. You had Bandora's gang which were mostly all cutesy, rubber suits, then you had the mostly face villains of Gorma, and then the Rubber Suit takeover. It's also funny that, whenever I think back on Dairanger, it always seems to me like the Gorma regulars rarely appear. It seems like a more monster-of-the-week driven show.

      Delete
    2. Hmm. I can see what you're saying. I mean, I felt the Vyram were still quite menacing and posed a major threat, even if the generals didn't like each other. But your idea does sound pretty cool. Maybe a possible idea could be having an organized Vyram, but also have a small dysfunctional group off to the side?

      Yeah, I get yah. Those artists from the late 80s are all my cup of tea too. Ryu Noguchi I don't really mind, but yeah, not my top favorite either. And yeah, I can see how the designs to the Vyram generals could indeed limit one's performance. I personally think they look cool. But they certainly needed to be a bit more mindful about how they were dressing their actors up.

      Yeah, I find a lot of those bits on Radiguet to be pretty neat aspects of his character.

      Perhaps I'm looking too much at the big picture in terms of Maria. Rather than how she is presented on an episode by episode basis. Which in that case, yeah, I agree with you there. They don't quite go hog wild with the concept of Maria/Rie. Maybe a big part of why I enjoyed Maria mostly had to do with because I really wanted Ryu to succeed and help get Rie back. So as a result, maybe I just kept that thought on the brain with every Jetman ep I watched. Or heck maybe it's because I watched the show through the lens of the heroes, the Vyram in general came off really cool to me, because of how they could be such big obstacles to them. So perhaps I remember the Vyram best as these nasty enemies to the Jetman even on a personal level, and the big plot moments between them all just left a really big impact on me overall.

      I know you prefer Mahoro/Asuka. I really like that couple too. But I admit, I'm not sure which of the two couples I prefer. I do agree that they show more moments of Mahoro struggling with her Jannu persona. Maybe part of it is that I completely view Maria as "no longer Rie anymore." I always got this impression where I questioned just how much Rie even remained within Maria at any point in the show. I do really love Asuka/Mahoro, but I admit, I feel that story takes a while to really get going (I don't feel it really takes off until the 2nd half of the show). But yeah, I suppose Asuka/Mahoro is a bit more explored and well acted. But I also really love Ryu/Rie just for the weight I feel is resting on Ryu's shoulders throughout the show. Which I feel is enough of a big difference to make both romances stand on their own for me. It's a bit like picking 2 different good flavors I suppose, lol.

      I see the Bandora Gang as the odd group lost in a sea of face villains, lol. The Gorma villains do regularly appear. It's like you said, Dairanger is more driven by the MOTW stuff. The actual Gorma villains' plots are only touched upon every now and then. Aside from that, they're usually there to try and kick good guy butt.

      Delete