Friday, July 13, 2018

Shougo's Sentai What-if: A New Turboranger Hero

I think Shiron is awesome, underrated, and a crucial part in what makes Turboranger special. I've already said many of times over the course of these Turboranger reviews the specific reasons why I like Shiron, and why I'm puzzled that there's such hate for the character out there, so I won't get too into it. But she's the heart of the show, she's symbolic of the show's whole set-up, and I think actress Mayumi Ohmura is very underrated, unappreciated -- she's unique and gives the character a sweetness, makes her appropriately ethereal. She's never cloying. She's good in the role, believable, able to equally handle lighter moments and dramatic moments. This is a rarity for such a young performer in a tokusatsu, you know this.

Shiron puts herself in harm's way numerous times throughout the show in order to help the Turboranger. So I had this idea...

I pictured there reaching a point in the show where Shiron could transform. I picture her having Dazai make something that attaches to her wand that she could use to harness power from the Rakia constellation, fusing with Rakia, in a way, by using his power and combining it with her own. Since she's the last fairy, and since the fairy magic and Rakia's power has been weakened, my idea is that she could transform, but would have a time limit. Basically, I picture her being like an Ultraman, only human sized -- this ability to transform would allow her to grow "giant," which here would mean the size of a human, and she would be so powerful that it would quickly take a toll, so she'd have a limit, and so would use this power sparingly and wisely. If she has a time limit -- until she needs to power down and heal and recharge and whatnot -- that keeps her involvement still kind of special, and it removes the chance for her to be used as a solution to everything, a deus ex machina.

I pictured her suit looking basically like Shiron's regular dress, which has the same color scheme as Rakia, and since she's drawing this power to transform from Rakia, I wanted it to be more reminiscent of the way Super Sentai typically approaches animal-based designs and helmets. I looked to Liveman, which is still the best animal helmets in Sentai, IMO. And while Dazai's science is involved in creating this suit for her, I didn't want to give her a vehicle-based suit, I didn't think that fit. (Shiron does ride Rakia, so in a way, the suit I've given her is basically related to transportation. I almost gave her the car motif just as a middle finger to "what do faaaaaairies have to do with caaaaaars?") I wanted her to be different so as to set her apart from the others, and I wanted her to look unique, but I wanted her to still be able to blend with the other designs.

So, by Shiron's own magic, and paired up with the power of Rakia and the science of Dazai, my idea is that Shiron will become...

KOUSOKU SENSHI TURBO SAINT!


I chose "kousoku" to be a homonym of Turboranger's "Kousoku (High-Speed) Sentai" title. In this case it's meant to mean "light speed," as in the fairy lights of Shiron, the star light of Rakia. "Saint" I chose because the fairies and the light of the fairies is often referred to as "sacred" or "holy" in the actual series, and Rakia is called "Holy/Saint Beast Rakia." Also: Saint Seiya was huge, so let's ride on his coattails a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment