Monday, April 16, 2018

Time For Worlds Apart


The episode introducing Eric, Naoto/Time Fire's counterpart. It sticks mostly to the Timeranger storyline -- a little too much, given how many times you can actually spot the Japanese actors in the footage of the City Guardian scenes. What I mainly have to say is that I've been kinda unfair towards actor Daniel Southworth over the years. Shinji Kasahara and his Naoto/Time Fire is one of the only things I really liked about Timeranger. I thought a lot of Naoto's motivations were interesting and, unlike the rest of the cast, Kasahara seemed to really take the part seriously and went for it with a real intensity.

So I always kind of dismissed Eric and Southworth for not being Naoto or Kasahara. Because Southworth does a great acting job here and his fight scenes are awesome. (Southworth is a decade too young; I could easily imagine him headlining his own action flicks if he had been young enough to do so in, like, the late '80s when they were popular.) I've made some silly comments about how high I find his voice to be, but that's mainly in comparison to Naoto -- when you're used to Kasahara shredding his voice like he's Christian Bale's Batman, Southworth's tone and voiceover delivery is as much of a jolt as first hearing Goushi in Zyuranger after being used to hearing Walter Jones' Zack come from that mastodon helmet.

One of the things that didn't help me is that Southworth almost makes the same character seem even angrier, and Kasahara could really push it. He makes the character a little too aggro, a little too harsh. (Kasahara would often react to things with an amusement.) But I kinda admire that, because he's at least not pulling his punches and looking down on the material by half-assing it; he's committing to it and going hog-wild.

The thing about Eric/Naoto is -- and both shows are scared to dwell on it -- that they're obviously meant to be from the wrong side of the tracks; of a lower class; poor. They've fought their way from nothing while seeing a lot of their peers skate by on the luck of who their parents are. (I suppose one of the reasons I like Naoto so much is that you can really understand his dislike of Tatsuya; not because he sees Tatsuya as every other rich kid who's worry-free and has a free ride, but mainly because Masaru Nagai really lays on the nice guy act, his performance making Tatsuya come off as seeming VERY fake and superficial in showing care for Naoto. He's not meant to be insincere, but Nagai sure makes him seem that way, and you can really understand why Naoto has no patience with him in their school scenes.) With Time Force, you have the genuine, good-natured and likable Jason Faunt as Wes, so Eric comes across looking more like the ass, but the character is meant to be a little more complicated than that.

Last time I watched Timeranger, it hit me what a strange addition to the show Naoto is. He comes into it SO late and has such a strange motivation and doesn't mesh well with the heroes. I kinda realized that maybe it would have worked more if Naoto had been Tatsuya's brother; maybe he could have been the hard-working Asami who worshipped everything about his father, but for some infuriating reason, all the father focused on was the screw-up disappointment Tatsuya. So Naoto fights his way into earning his dad's respect, through becoming the doomed Time Fire.

It's strange and sad, in a way, that Eric/Naoto -- who have fought their way through life, looking for acceptance, looking for validation, being overly ambitious -- tries so hard to impress Mr. Collins/Mr. Asami and get on his good side, when it's the type of person Eric/Naoto typically disdains. (Actually, worse than the type of person he disdains.)

13 comments:

  1. Time Force could have used this idea of Eric being Wes brother(since Timeranger didn't even think about it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tatsuya sure can come across as one overly cheery awkward dork, doesn't he? xD

    I was always under the impression that Naoto was never planned or intended to appear in Timeranger. I feel sales must've been so low that they needed to add in a new Timeranger and his "Power Animal" V-Rex to help (kinda makes sense how we ended up with Gaoranger the next year). It's interesting cause I feel maybe Timeranger was always supposed to continue what GoGoFive did, and to just keep the team at 5 members throughout the whole show (thinking back, I'm honestly shocked GoGoFive got away with that). I can say I'm glad we did get Naoto though. He's such a cool idea which fits great with the premise I feel. I mean, I feel he pretty much runs the entire last 3rd of the show.

    But you're right, in a lot of ways, he doesn't completely mesh with every aspect of the show. You could technically cut him out, and nothing would change (other than the show being less awesome as a result). It's more on why I'm convinced he was a very late last minute addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Tatsuya seemed like he was just an overly cheery and awkward dork, that wouldn't be so bad. It's the phony insincerity in which Nagai plays it. He's bad!

      It would be nice to confirm whether or not Naoto was planned. I kinda think he couldn't have been, because the whole point of the show is the five growing close. It's weird to risk adding a new hero and breaking that chemistry.

      Those were also the days when the shows still didn't know how to handle the sixth hero, and I think that's how GoGoFive got away without having one. Think of those sixth-less shows like Kakuranger and Carranger, or the weird way they handled it in Gingaman.

      I point this out in a later post, but I don't think they give him the dinosaur mecha to appeal to the Power Animal crowd, but to make Time Fire an homage to Dragon Ranger. He's the first antagonistic sixth since Dragon Ranger, he's the doomed & tragic character, he controls his mech from the ground in the same way... It almost makes me wonder if they WERE planning on having him be an Asami.

      Delete
  3. "So I always kind of dismissed Eric and Southworth for not being Naoto or Kasahara. Because Southworth does a great acting job here and his fight scenes are awesome. (Southworth is a decade too young; I could easily imagine him headlining his own action flicks if he had been young enough to do so in, like, the late '80s when they were popular.) I've made some silly comments about how high I find his voice to be, but that's mainly in comparison to Naoto -- when you're used to Kasahara shredding his voice like he's Christian Bale's Batman, Southworth's tone and voiceover delivery is as much of a jolt as first hearing Goushi in Zyuranger after being used to hearing Walter Jones' Zack come from that mastodon helmet'

    I always remain mixed and I mean SUPER MIXED with this area. I may not like Power Rangers but I tend to think Eric is more tolerable than Naoto and I guess you'd know why. I think Daniel Southworth can act and I don't want to overcredit Shinji Kasahara either - though I wish Kasahara himself were Hojo in Kamen Rider Agito!

    I also dare agree that Naoto came in too late. I think about what Fantasy Leader/Sentai Bandicoot said that he has the impression that Naoto was probably never planned or intended -- I wish I could verify that. Hmmm I didn't even think of that either! So how did GoGoFive get away with that? I can't really be too sure either.

    IMHO, Naoto should have appeared in the early 20s of the show. Him appearing quite late is something to think about and I think it's a flaw. On the other hand, Power Rangers' tendency to have a rush pacing made Eric appear too early in episode TWELVE in contrast to MMPR's Green with Evil which appeared in episode 17. Later, we'd have Kyoryugold and Starninninger appear that early in their respective series which IMHO is a really bad move.

    On the other hand, I decided to write down more on Tatsuya vs. Naoto and a bigger room for my thoughts which this single comment can't contain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Power rangers has less episodes you know

      Delete
    2. Yes I know that - that's why it tends to be so rushed!

      Delete
    3. Funny. I tend to find PR seasons too long. Even at 32 eps, lol. And that's cause I feel most seasons never make proper use of their time.

      Delete
    4. Zeo had 50 episodes so 18 more than Disney's seasons

      Delete
    5. @Sean Akizuki -- I pretty much cover in my latest post why I find Eric to be a bigger obstacle than Naoto. (I still like Naoto more, but Kasahara plays him in a way that makes him likable. Southworth's not afraid to make Eric seem unlikable.)

      Delete
  4. "Funny. I tend to find PR seasons too long. Even at 32 eps, lol. And that's cause I feel most seasons never make proper use of their time."

    Will you please explain how that happens Fantasy Leader?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simply because I find most Power Rangers episodes or story arcs aren't really about anything at all. Simple flimsy messages and plots aren't enough to satisfy me for 20 min, if the eps aren't even decently entertaining. And if you add that all up, I find myself just wasting my time, even if a season is only 32 eps long. And that to me is a much greater drag, than if I was watching some 50+ ep show, but was actually enjoying it.

      Delete
    2. Hey, if you disagree, that's perfectly fine.

      Delete